Welcome to the Foundation of Light
See our CALENDAR of Events to find out what’s happening.
We are an interfaith spiritual center for meditation, healing, study and self-expression. Our programs include the study and practice of meditation and spiritual healing; an investigation into different levels of awareness or consciousness; the influence of natural foods and herbs in promoting health; the impact of thought and visualization in bringing about spiritual growth; the development of individual creativity; the advancement of world peace and unity; and promoting living on the earth in ecological balance.
Some of what you’ll find at FOL:
- Meditation groups
- Workshops and retreats
- Dances of Universal Peace
- Seasonal celebrations: solstices, equinoxes, full moons, and New Years’ Eve
- Labyrinth for walking
- Stone circle
- Peace pole
- Performances and artistic events
- Community gatherings
- Beautiful space to rent for weddings, celebrations, and workshops
This was Hibbard’s Corners one-room Greek Revival schoolhouse built about 1840. It continued to serve Ellis Hollow residents in that capacity until 1936 when it was released from the public school system.
During that period it had the privilege of sending forth the first United States Rhodes scholar from this country, Warren Ellis Schutt, who completed the 8th grade there about 1889. The walnut tree standing across the driveway by Turkey Hill Road was planted by his teacher to commemorate this event.
More recently the building served as the Ellis Hollow Community Center from 1952 to 1968. During this time it served the community as a meeting place, a recreational center, a nursery school, and with the grounds surrounding it, as an athletic field. It was also the site of the original annual Ellis Hollow Country Fair.
After the building of the new Ellis Hollow Community Center on Genung Road, Mrs. Mabel Demotte Beggs, who received ownership of the property from her late husband Earl Demotte, sought a new kind of community service for the schoolhouse and decided to offer it to The Foundation of Light.
The Foundation restored the building, taking great care to preserve the feeling of the schoolhouse itself and in a new addition, which together provided a home for the Foundation of Light until our present building was erected in 1999.